Biomedical and biological materials science is a new and emerging field at the interface of materials science and biology. The emergence of the discipline is due in part to the advent of regenerative medicine, which requires biomaterials that interact with the body in a specific and predictable manner. In today’s world, materials designed for usage with biological systems as well as materials derived from biological systems for medical and other applications are rising in importance. To fully participate in the exciting new sphere, a strong foundation in both materials science and medical biology is essential.
Designed for students with special interest in biomaterials and biomedical devices, the Bachelor of Materials Engineering with a Second Major in Medical Biology programme will arm candidates with the fundamentals of medical biology, with special emphasis on the principles of biological science. Graduates from this programme can look forward to engaging in research and development work in this dynamic and rapidly-evolving field.
The structure of the Bachelor of Materials Engineering with a Second Major in Medical Biology programme integrates the requirements of both majors within the typical candidature of 4 years.
Students must meet all requirements of the principal Bachelor of Materials Engineering programme and fulfill the following conditions:
(1) complete a Biomaterials-related Final Year Project, and
(2) choose at least 2 major prescribed electives from the following list^:
- Advanced Analysis of Materials
- Advanced Biomaterials
- Biomedical Devices
- Drug Delivery and Tissue Engineering
^ List of courses is subject to changes
In addition, students will read the following courses for the Second Major in Medical Biology:
Table 1: Courses for the Second Major in Medical Biology
Foundation Courses (Compulsory)
1. Biophysical Chemistry
2. Biochemistry I
4. Experimental Molecular and Cell Biology <AY2017 & Before>
5. Immunology <AY2018 onwards>
6. Introductory Biology
7. Molecular and Cell Biology I
8. Molecular and Cell Biology II
Choose 3 courses from the following list:
• Biochemistry II
• Drug Discovery and Development, Biotechnology
• Synthetic Biology
• Undergraduate Advanced Experimental Biology (UAEB) Workshop (Series I): Protein Behavior in
Health and Disease – Biophysical Tools
• Undergraduate Advanced Experimental Biology (UAEB) Workshop (Series I): Methods in Histology
Academic Unit Requirements
Integrating the Academic Unit (AU) requirements for the principal Bachelor of Materials Engineering programme and second major, the total AU requirement for the Bachelor of Materials Engineering with a Second Major in Medical Biology programme is 150/151* AU, including 33 AU for the second major.
Table 2: AU Requirement for Materials Engineering with a Second Major in Medical Biology (MTMB)
|Core & Major Prescribed Elective
||12 <Before AY2018>
14 <AY2018 onwards>
|12 <Before AY2018>|
14 <AY2018 onwards>
|GER-PE (BM / LA)
|Second Major in Medical Biology
||150/151* <Before AY2018>|
152/153 <AY2018 onwards>
* Students without H2 Level Physics will take PH1012 Physics A (4 AU).
PI - Professional Internship (20 weeks)
PA - Professional Attachment (10 weeks)
GER - General Education Requirement
PE - Prescribed Elective
BM - Business and Management
LA - Liberal Arts
Candidates must meet the minimum entry requirements for the Bachelor of Materials Engineering programme, including the following minimum subject requirements:
• Pass in H2 Level Mathematics or equivalent, and
• Pass in H2 Level Biology/Chemistry/Physics, and
• Pass in H1/’O’ Level Physics* or equivalent
* Pass in H1/’O’ Level Physics is only applicable to applicants who have not read H2 Level Physics.
TUITION FEES AND SCHOLARSHIPS
The tuition fees for the Bachelor of Materials Engineering with a Second Major in Medical Biology will be pegged to the fees of Bachelor of Engineering programmes. Eligible students may be considered for scholarships that include fully-paid subsidised tuition fees and living allowance. Scholarship terms and conditions apply. For more information on tuition fees and scholarships, please visit http://admissions.ntu.edu.sg.
Graduates will enjoy the flexibility of choosing from a wide range of career options and roles in diverse industries, in addition to biomedical industries both locally and abroad.